We are a scout led troop, however adults are necessary to ensure a safe and successful scouting experience.

Thank you for your interest in becoming a registered adult advisor with the BSA.  Our troops cannot operate without active involvement from our parents, and we welcome your participation!


Adult Registration Process

There are a few role options you can choose from and the difference is training.  You can choose from a Unit Scouter Reserve, Committee Member, ASM, or Merit Badge Counselor.  The difference in these positions is training and responsibilities.  Below is my short description of each:

  1. Unit Scouter Reserve – a parent who wants to attend summer camp or a high adventure trip without formal responsibilities and the allowance to be in a leadership position or direct contact with the youth
  2. Committee Member – active serving member of the troop enabling activities and the mission of the troop.  May lead an activity or two, but will have ASM supervision during activities
  3. ASM – Direct Contact, Youth leader
  4. Merit Badge Counselor – Direct Contact, Youth leader

If you are choosing the ASM role, we will provide all the training you need and if you can join us at summer camp, we can get through a lot of training then (there are classes at camp for adults).  As you are joining a group of us, for the first year or two you would be paired with an experienced ASM for all activities.  We try to have every ASM lead one campout a year and one to two troop meetings a year.  Attending PLCs is optional (unless you have a troop meeting or campout in the planning state) and we usually have two ASM Planning meetings a year that you should attend.

Below is the paperwork we need to get the process started.

  • Adult Application
  • YPT Training (simply share your certificate if you have an active one)
  • Health forms (Part A & B now, Part C will be required for summer camp)
  • Adult registration fee:
    • $45 Troop Dues – this can be paid through our troop store, this includes our troop patches, name tag, and bolo.
    • You will need to pay separately through the online system for required registration to National & the Michigan Crossroads Council – this will be $65 to National + $15 to MCC
  • Specific to summer camp, an MCRC form is required as well to be completed, submitted, and once returned shared with the respective Troop leader.


Q:  What is the difference between a registered adult and a non-registered adult? 

It is simple – a registered adult completes a BSA Adult application and agrees to a background check by the BSA.  In order to offer a robust and varied set of program outings and events we need lots of registered adults. As such, each family is expected to register one adult upon joining and keep their registration active for as long as they have an active scout in our Troops.


Q:  Why do we need registered adults? 

Our Troop cannot function without them!  Two registered adult leaders 21 years of age or over are required at all Scouting activities, including meetings. In any outing or event where girls and boys are present there must be four registered adults (two from each Troop) in attendance. Notwithstanding the minimum leader requirements, age- and program-appropriate supervision must always be provided. (Youth Protection and Barriers to Abuse FAQs)

All adults accompanying a Scouting unit who are present at the activity for 72 total hours or more must be registered as leaders. The 72 hours need not be consecutive. In addition, all adults who attend overnight scouting events must be registered.

Adult program participants must register as adults and follow Youth Protection policies.


Q:  I want to become an Assistant Scoutmaster or member of the Committee, do I need to become registered?

Yes.  You will need to be registered as part of the process of becoming an adult leader in our Troop.  However any adult can become registered even if you are not stepping into a leadership role.  Once registered you can support our Troops at Scouting activities by ensuring the Troop abides by the Youth Protection policies.


Q:  How do I become registered with Troop 125?

The Chartered Organization Representative, or in their absence the executive officer of the chartered organization, must approve the registration of the unit’s adult leaders.  To become registered, complete and submit the  forms identified above.


Q:  Do I need to re-register every year?

Yes.  The date you first complete your adult registration with the BSA becomes your annual BSA registration anniversary date. You will receive reminders from the BSA each year to renew your registration. At least one adult from each family is expected to keep their annual registration current with the BSA.  


Q:  I’ve heard that Merit Badge Counselors are registered adults, is that correct?

Yes, But.  Merit Badge Counselors (MBC) are registered by the Council and complete the same application and background check.  However they are not considered an adult fee required position and are therefore not considered a registered adult for Troop activities.  Merit Badge Counselors who wish to attend Troop outings and events need to register separately with the Troop.


Q:  Is there a cost to become registered?

Yes.  You will pay a fee directly to the BSA and Michigan Crossroads Council annually.

Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent